Friday 20 July 2012

What If I Become One of THOSE Assholes?!

My coworkers and I were talking about what we considered "classic must see movies", and it came to light that one of the guys HADN'T SEEN TRAINSPOTTING...



Seriously dude, I know you're from Vancouver, but they still have TVs out west!





Trainspotting was this incredible film that just grabbed me when I saw it...The soundtrack was incredible, the story was fantastic, I laughed, I recoiled, I cried, IT WAS GREAT.


It was one of the first films I saw that really stuck with me, following such fucking awesome films as Tank Girl, Evil Dead 2, and Akira.





So, one coworker suggests that we use the theatre in his building to have a movie night and show the other guy Trainspotting. I say yes, everybody else says yes...then he mentions that his 14 yr old son can join us...


Before I can even stop myself I say "Woah, are you sure that's appropriate for a 14 yr old?"

Durrrrrrrr

am immediately met with this face:


And quickly reflect on the fact that I saw the film at 13, and at 14 already owned the soundtrack and was listening on endless repeat...




Yes. I became (hopefully only briefly), at the ripe old age of 26, one of THOSE people. The "gee whillikers, that sure is a scary film! you betcha!" people...ugh.




OH. GOD. I don't want to be that person. The one who frets and fusses over whether something is appropriate for a 14 yr old or not. I LOATHED those people when I was 14, when I was 10, hell...I loathe them now!

Old Claire, 7 yr old Claire iz disappoint...


I listen to Skrillex, I get drunk, I eat nachos...I AM NOT OLD. Right? RIGHT? ...well, news flash Claire, the Backstreet Boys are 19yr old, which really compounds how much you don't like them seeing as they've now outlasted most of your favourite bands...




I'm going to take this as a warning sign, a boundary which I know I must never cross. If I ever have kids, I swear I will let them eat junk food and watch Trainspotting any day of the week...! (Dear future children, this does not actually fucking apply to your lives...life is full of lies & disappointments, that's your lesson for today)




In the meantime, I will eat my Sneaky Dee's nachos, nurse whatever hangover I may or may not have, and bask in the glory of the mid-90s awesomeness that was my childhood:


No comments:

Post a Comment