Wednesday 25 July 2012

My Cat Does Not Appreciate 80s Children's Entertainers...



Walking back from drinks with friends with my husband at 1am. A fair amount of the conversation at dinner had focused on Reddit, the mensrights forum, and reverse gifs...I'll let you look those up, if you so desire...

As we're walking back, we get into a discussion about unwanted attention from random strangers, and the male gaze. As we ramble incoherently, I make a stand for all women who have recently emerged from the "funny looking/lack of style" stage of life and state:


derp.
"Hey, it's never ok, but when a 70 year old Portuguese man on College sees me ride past on my bike and declares "Mama Mia!!!", a small part of me says 'I still got it!'...So I guess what I'm saying is that he wants it, and he can't have it...so that's a kind of empowerment...?" *

*hand gestures, slurring edited out


At this point my husband is doubled over laughing at me, which in retrospect, was probably the best possible response.


-- 10 MIN LATER --


I am brushing my teeth when I am suddenly overcome with the need to listen to a very specific Raffi song... Cut to iPhone and my YouTube app...



I find myself singing to the cat, who stares with the incomprehension and disdain that only a cat can deliver...


My husband passes the door and shakes his head as I try to explain the significance of Raffi to a child growing up in Canada in the 80s... the cat does not understand the cultural significance. I try singing a different Raffi song to him...

Bay-bee bal-UUUU-gaaaaaaaaaaaa







The cat offers his cultural criticism by throwing up on the floor by my side of the bed the following morning...






....douche.




No comments:

Post a Comment